Saturday, November 5, 2011

Grandmas and things

I have some things in my home that are from the homes of my two Grandmothers. They happen to be some of my favorite things. My piano was in my mom's home. She actually watched this piano being built in downtown Salt Lake. When I grew up and we drove down to Salt Lake to see Grandma Darlene, I always looked forward to playing her piano. Thanks to that piano, I have been playing for most of my life.
Mom and Dad surprised me one summer by shipping this down to our house from theirs. It was at least a thousand mile trip. We were out of town and when we got home, my piano was sitting in our living room! It had been a really hard summer and they knew this piano would bring me a lot of happiness. It has been a big blessing in my life.
 From my dad's mom, I inherited her dining room table. It's a table that was built and sold right in the town I grew up in. The furniture store is still there on 4th street. Even my dad's best friend of 50 years remembers sitting at that table and eating dinner with Grandma and Grandpa. Along with her table she gave me two little glass birds that she always had in her kitchen window.
Both of my Grandmothers are gone but I like to think about them often. I also think about my mom and Matt's mom as being Grandma's to our kids. They definitely look too young to fill the part of
'gramma' but they'll rock it well.